Latest Posts

Baked Pumpkin & Beetroot Falafel

By 23:06 , , , , , , ,

It's my third time making falafel! And as always, though they're simple they taste so good! Perhaps anything with chickpeas taste good ☺And of course, I made some heart-shaped ones too.
They are so addictive; I just treat them as savoury truffles and eat them out of the fridge cold. Lols ^^


Baked Pumpkin & Beetroot Falafel
Makes about 24 small balls

Ingredients
  • 240g (about 1 1/2 cup) cooked dried/ canned chickpeas
  • 80g pumpkin puree
  • 30g beetroot shreds
  • 2 tbsp flour (I used spelt)
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
  • sea salt to taste (I used black sea salt)

Method
  1. Pulse chickpeas in a food processor until you get a powdery mash, though small chunks are fine. If using canned chickpeas (which are softer), just mash with a fork.
  2. Stir in all the other ingredients. If using canned chickpeas, less pumpkin may be needed.
  3. Using your hands, evenly incorporate all the ingredients. Form small balls/ other shapes and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 180 deg C in a preheated oven for 25-30mins, or until golden brown (though it can be hard to tell as they're so orangy-pink in colour!) Flip them over midway if you'd like (I didn't bother doing this and it turned out fine ☺) Cool and enjoy immediately for the best texture!

The falafel was so crispy on the outside, yet soft and moist on the inside! I had it with shirataki noodles (which were about to expire, oops). Shirataki is a low calorie (~4 kcal/serve), low carbohydrate, low fat, gluten free and high fibre food. They're made from konjac, which is the root of a plant. It comes in other shapes too - like rice, which reminds me, I bought a pack of 'Miracle Rice' over half a year ago and haven't tried it! -_- I'm not really for anything low-carb but they're so convenient; they don't even have to be cooked! I just rinse and drain them. A drawback though, is that it's expensive. One pack (one serving) costs a little over SGD$2 (I got mine from the Japanese supermarket at Star Vista). I mixed two packs here to get both black and white noodles!

Shirataki noodles with a beetroot tomato sauce, falafel balls, white button mushroom, falafel and yellow bell pepper. And not to forget - nutritional yeast! No pasta will be complete without it ☺

First time actually using english parsley! It looks so pretty. And it lasts way longer than the chinese parsley that I usually use. Though the taste isn't the same, nor as nice! 

For the sauce, I blended 1/2 medium tomato, 1/4 medium red bell pepper, 5 dried cherry tomatoes, 3 tbsp beetroot shreds, a crack of black sea salt and a dash of cayenne pepper. It was so yummy!

Lols I tried to plate the noodles in a high-class-restaurant kinda way. I failed hahaha. Shirataki noodles are very hard to twirl! And I guess high class restaurants don't serve so much food on one plate :x

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. that is so pretty. i like the idea of a red falafel ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wanted it to be pink but it turned out orangey-red instead :X Haha still delicious!

      Delete
  2. LOL...just saying the word trufflefalafel makes me laugh! :)
    I just found your blog and I'm totally hooked. It's always fun to find someone who has the same tastes you do! Chickpeas and cinnamon and lots of cakey goodness. And stunning photos too...you are amazingly creative! Many thanks!
    Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! :) Thank you so much! Glad to find that we've similar tastes!! :D Happy MoFo!

      Delete