Latest Posts

Bap-less Bibimbap!

By 10:00 , , , , ,

  Bibimbap is a Korean dish, and it literally means 'mixed rice'. This is my (very un-authentic)  take on bibimbap, and I've made it into a refreshing, somewhat cold meal! Perhaps I should call it a bibimbap-inspired salad.


Here's the 'rice' I used. As the title of this post states, it's a 'bap-less' (rice-less) bibimbap! This looks like rice (actually more like porridge; my food processor thing didn't work very well for this) but actually it's jicama (turnip) rice! I pulsed jicama chunks in my food processor until it looks like rice. I made about 1 cup for this. Jicama has a mild, very slightly sweet taste with a bit of a crunch. Great for making rice-less sushi too! An alternative for real rice or jicama rice would be cauliflower rice, or caulirice. It's made using grated cauliflower florets. I prefer jicama for the raw taste isn't that strong.
For the toppings, I used raw vegetables -japanese cucumber, alfalfa, cherry tomatoes, yellow bell pepper-, blanched soy bean sprouts (I don't like them raw >< ) and coconutty tempeh - simply tempeh slices pan fried in a bit of coconut oil. I used one that has a stronger coconut scent; the brand is Parachute.
This will work with any vegetables you like! ☺

I assembled everything and topped it with some (store-bought) kimchi.

Then I added some bibimbap sauce (added more later) and mixed everything up! Next time though, I'll cut my vegetables thinner! :x
 
For the sauce, I roughly followed a recipe from Crazy Korean Cooking. I stirred together:
1 tbsp gochujang (red chili paste), 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup, 1 tsp sesame oil and a pinch of sesame seeds.
It was really fragrant because of the sesame oil, and it reminded me of a certain Korean restaurant that I used to work at... I used about half of the bibimbap sauce because it's quite salty!
 
Wouldn't mind making this simple dish again! ☺
Happy MoFo-ing everyone!!
 

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I do love Korean food and I am addicted to kimchi. I tried to make it once, but it didn't turn out. You recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've not tried making kimchi before, it seems really fun though! :)

      Delete
  2. I just came across your blog -- it's gorgeous! I love your colorful photos. And this bibimbap looks awesome. Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Glad you like my blog! Happy MoFo to you too :) :)

      Delete