Latest Posts

Ginger Molasses Cookies

By 11:19 , , , ,

Ginger Molasses Cookies! I used to hate ginger but I've now come to love it's warm spiciness. ♡ It's also great for when I get motion sickness! :x
I recently bought molasses and it's my first time using it in baking. I wanted to try it because it's rich in iron, calcium and magnesium - it's a sweetener that's actually good for you! if you don't know what molasses are, it's a thick, black liquid (looks somewhat like Pi Pa Gao, though more viscous), and it has a distinct, bittersweet taste. Much less sweet than what I imagined it to be!
 
This recipe is adapted from Lunchboxbunch, and I changed it by replacing refined sugar with medjool dates. I've also halved the recipe and made smaller cookies. And left out the baking soda - I ran out! Perhaps that's why mine didn't rise and crack as beautifully as Kathy's! These were of a just-right sweetness for me, though that's not a good standard to go by, so I would suggest that you add more dates! ^^

Warm, freshly baked cookies. And a never-before-seen glimpse of my couch.

I made them in 3 ways: hearts (of course!), pressed down with a fork, and topped with crystallised ginger.

These are two-bite cookies.

They turned out soft & chewy, though for crunchier cookies you could flatten them out more.

The crystallised ginger add more sweetness, spiciness and bite to the cookie!
 


So good with a cold glass of soymilk.
 

 

 
 
Ginger Molasses Cookies
Makes about 28 two-bite cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup wholewheat flour (130g), or other flour
  • 3/4 tbsp ginger powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/3 tsp cinnamon
  • 3-5 large medjool dates (depending on level of sweetness desired)
  • 2-3 tbsp water
  • 2-3 tbsp molasses syrup
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • Optional: crystallised ginger, cut into tiny bits
Method
  1. Mix the dry ingredients (first 5) in a large bowl.
  2. In a food processor, blend together medjool dates and 2 tbsp water (this doesn't seem really good for food processors though, mine was having a hard time!)
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the date paste with the grated ginger, coconut oil and molasses syrup.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir the mixture, then use your hands to mix it into a moist ball of dough. It should have a Playdough consistency. If needed, add water bit-by-bit. I added 1 tbsp.
  5. For 'free-form' cookies, you can use the dough immediately, but for cookie-cutter cookies it's best to freeze for about 30 mins before rolling out and cutting into shapes.
  6. Bake at 180 deg C for about 6-8 mins (depending on size of cookies) in a preheated oven.
  7. Allow cookies to cool for 15 minutes before eating. They will harden as they cool.


You Might Also Like

0 comments