Latest Posts

Raw Vegan 80/10/10 Week! Thoughts & Such

By 11:53 ,

The past week (23-29 Sept), I've been eating raw vegan, 80/10/10. And it was great! Not as difficult as I thought it would be, and I'm glad that preparing meals was much simpler. I've also eating a whole melon for a meal for the first time! It was a hami melon, and it was soooo super sweet and delicious!

Raw veganism is where people eat plant foods that aren't heated above 46 deg C (115 deg F). From what I understand, under raw veganism there's two distinct categories - 801010 and gourmet. 801010 refers to there 80% of calories consumed come from carbohydrates (mainly fruit), 10% from protein and the remaining 10% from fat. Raw vegan food sold at restaurants (eg. raw cakes, nut cheeses) tend to fall under gourmet raw vegan food (though they're fine in small amounts under 801010). The gourmet raw vegan diet is much much higher in fat, sometimes having 60% of calories from fat! Though it's 'good fats' and all, it's best to not exceed 10% average caloires from fat. If you'd like to know more, I highly recommend Dr. Douglas Graham's The 80/10/10 Diet. Which I'm actually still three-quarters through reading (somehow I don't have much patience for reading non-fiction :x ).

801010 can also be done as a cooked 801010, where part of the carbohydrates come from starchy plants such as sweet potatoes, potatoes or pumpkin etc., though raw vegan 801010 is said to be the optimal diet for health! So that's what I did. I also exercised nearly every day the past week (except lazy Sunday) because since I was being healthy, I might as well just be healthier! :) AND GUESS WHAT. My menses came!!! :') (okay kinda weird to share this here) But I was super super duper happy!! :') I've not shared about this before but I guess I will now. I took Progyluton (hormone pills)  from mid-2011 ('O'-level year) to May this year, because my menses didn't come. I was counting calories and lost some weight back then, so my already irregular menses stopped coming since January 2011. So mum brought me to the doctor (KK Hospital) and there were blood tests (ugh), an MRI scan, womb scan, bone scan and other yucky, expensive stuff. The doctor said that I wasn't eating enough and all (I really wasn't, but I seriously thought I was eating too much) and my body didn't trust me & was shutting down some functions to conserve energy so she asked me to gain weight and I had to take pills. I gradually, reluctantly gained weight (by the way, I wasn't vegetarian then). Okay back to my menses. They came fine when I was taking the pills (eat 1 pill every day for 3 weeks, then during the 4th week my menses will come) (I loved the predictability). But then when I stopped the pills in May (the doctor thought that it was long enough, and I've maintained my weight well), it didn't come anymore :( Only spotting during the next month. And I lost all hope and was considering just getting a test kit for ovulation and accept the fact that it would never come. BUT NOW it's back!! :'D YAY. Usually people lose their menses on the raw food diet, especially on 801010 (it's fine as long as you still have ovulation), but somehow it was the opposite for me! It came on Tuesday, the second day eating raw. Okay, perhaps other factors play a part - I was at one of my heaviest weights measured, and the daily exercise. But this must have played a part. Though isn't it amazing that I chose to do this Raw Week at the correct week?! Such joy! :D I never wanna eat those pills again! I don't expect my menses to come next month, so perhaps I should do this Raw Week thing once every three months? ^^

My parents were like all disapproving of my Raw Week, but with my menses coming it's like hah! my body LOVES this!

I weighed myself before and after this week, and my weight, percentage body fat, skeletal muscle and subcutaneous fat (I use Omron KaradaScan) hasn't changed. Which was slightly disappointing because I've been excercising much more than usual. But I'm glad to know that I'm eating enough! I used the Cron-o-Meter to measure my energy intake (to make sure that I'm eating enough), and I ate extra to make up for the calories burned during exercise (measured using a Polar FT4). I didn't really see any change in my energy levels but I guess I was happier (probably because of the endorphins produced because of exercise, and because my menses came haha). Actually I think I shouldn't have been expecting much because it's only one week after all.

My average calorie breakdown for the 7 days was 88.2% from carbohydrates, 4.9% from protein and 6.9% from fat. My overt fats this week came from a dinner at The Living Cafe (raw burger & raw cake; I just did a rough estimate), 1/4 avocado and a few hemp seed sprinkles. Overt fats are the fats that you can tell are in foods, including oils, nuts, seeds, avocado (and of course meat). While covert fats are the 'invisible fat' found in non-fatty fruits and vegetables (this info comes from The 80/10/10 Diet). I used to think that overt fats just refer to those in oils and solid fats!

I was super excited to to have oats for breakfast today, and I'm looking forward to having sweet potatoes later! :D And I didn't eat any spices or strong smelling foods (garlic, onion) the past week so I'm looking forward to tasting them better.

Though I'm not continuing this, I believe that I'll do this raw vegan 801010 thing again. And perhaps I'll do raw-before-4 a few days each week. Oh yes, by the way it's my holidays so I'm able to eat and exercise the past week. I know that it's possible to do this during the school term (FullyrawKristina has videos on this on YouTube) but it'll be difficult... For there might not be enough time for a big fruit breakfast and I can't imagine lugging 1/2 a watermelon or a bunch of bananas to school for lunch! And it will be weird. Bringing my own lunchbox is different enough already lols.

Here's a look at what I've posted on Instagram last week:

This was almost all of what I ate on the first day. Breakfast was half a large yellow watermelon (about1.5 kg, without skin), lunch was 2 bananas blended with 1 medjool date, topped with 2 more bananas, grapes and mint, with more bananas at the side. 3 oranges for a snack and a salad in the empty watermelon bowl for dinner. The dressing for the salad is made of 1 large medjool date, 1 small banana and 3/4 tomato. I kept it simple for the first day and tried my best to follow all food/fruit combining rules!
 
 Banana, yellow watermelon, strawberries, pear, grapes, pomegranatem frozen blueberries and figs. Probably my prettiest fruit platter to date! :) Though it really breaks many food combining rules, such as: melons should be eaten alone for they digest very quickly, and sweet fruit (bananas, grapes etc. are best to not be paired with acid fruit (pomegranate, strawberries etc.).


Acai-banana Smoothie Bowl. made with 3 medium bananas, 2 baby bananas (all frozen), one scoop Sambazon freeze-dried acai powder and a squeeze of lemon. Topped with another baba banana, pomegranate, blueberries, frozen strawberry, green grapes, mulberry crumbles and mint. You can tell that I didn't really care about proper food combining anymore :x


Veggie Platter with a yummy Caramel-Apple Dip - made with 3 large medjool dates, 1 small apple and enough water to blend.


Papaya Smoothie Bowl! Topped with frozen blueberries, banana slices, strawberry chunks, green grapes, mint, lime, hemp hearts and papaya seeds. Yes, papaya seeds are edible! They've got a mild peppery taste and are good for liver detox.
This was supposed to be a gradient smoothie (or more like puree for I didn't add any water) from red (papaya, banana, beetroot) to orange (papaya) to yellow (banana) but you can't quite see the orange part under the fruits!


Tropical Sunset Smoothie. From bottom up: Papaya + beetroot, Papaya + lemon, Papaya + banana, Banana, Mango + papaya, mango. Topped with frozen banana chunks, pomegranate, papaya seeds, hemp hearts cacao nibs and mint. In total, this has 1/2 large papaya, 2 bananas and 2/3 mango. So very yummy and filling!!

Also, usually I get a stomachache after eating more than a cup of papaya, but this didn't happen at all! So it must've been the other foods that I ate before the papaya that gave me the stomach ache. I also didn't get diarrhea after eating whole melons or a large amount of fruits or veggies.


Raw lasagne. I've got a blog post on this here.


Another fruit platter! Strawberries, grapes, pear, two tiny tangerines, two bananas with date paste, pomegranate and blueberries, with hemp hearts and mint.

Do consider trying out Raw Vegan 801010! It's really not that difficult (especially if you love fruit and are already vegan) and maybe wonderful things will happen to you! :)

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Congrats on the good news and thanks for sharing! Personally I have not had period for 7 years (and counting). But after slowly transitioning to vegan (not fully yet though) I found that my appetite has increased by leaps and bounds and in fact I gained 1 kg! I know it's not alot but still :) Nice reading this informative post about 80/10/10 and for giving me hope that it's possible! Going for raw this October after the veganmofo challenge!

    As always, beautiful fruit platters :) Thanks for sharing once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply Sabrina, and thank you so much!! So glad to hear how veganism has helped you! Hope the rest of this month goes well for you! :) :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Serene! I am also having problems with my period :( My mom is worried sick about it but I try not to let me bug me and it doesn't bug me most of the time. However, sometimes I am worried about it :( My sister and I have gone to the doc's to get it checked but everything was fine. THe doctor gave us suggestion for either pills or just waiting it out but it never came :( My sister and I are gonna try Banana Island for 3 days to start of 2014. I hope it turns out well! I was just wondering... Do you have any tips for getting them back other than raw veganism? :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! How long has your period not come? I think the solution would be to gain weight! But some of my friends are underweight but still have regular periods, so I guess it varies from person to person. Are you underweight?
      Also, I read in some places that as long as you're ovulating, not having menses is fine. I hear that you can just but an ovulation test kit from the pharmacy, but I'm not sure because I've not tried it!
      By the way, many low fat raw vegans loose their period or it comes on very light. But it's fine as long as there's ovulation! :) Also, after this first raw week, my period came regularly, like every 3 weeks until I did my second raw week earlier this month and it stopped. It might have stopped because I lost a bit of weight, but I'm not sure. However, don't let this stop you from trying out raw veganism, what doesn't work for me may work for you!! :) Oh and make sure you consume at least 2500kcal daily! I hope to hear from you soon :)

      Delete