Latest Posts

Sandwich Paradise ...with Anyhow Wholewheat Bread

By 22:21

Sandwich Paradise! Literally everything in my fridge and cupboards on bread. ^^ I ate everything for lunch :x though it was after a bikram yoga class. So.. ._. Anyway I was surprisingly satiated for the rest of the afternoon, until dinner! :O Which rarely (read: never) happens, especially when I go for yoga in the morning. It's like I can eat the whole house, even though I'm not hungry, but just 'itchy mouth'. Okay enough about my eating habits, more about these open-faced sandwiches! ☺
➀ Green bell pepper hummus, roasted orange maple spiced chickpeas (recipe below), black sea salt
➁ Raw tahini, cinnamon, strawberry, fig, coconut flakes 

It was my first time roasting chickpeas and I'm surprised at how crunchy they can get! The orange taste and sweetness is mild, but it still makes a great, healthy (albeit, heaty) snack! ☺

➂ Red bell pepper hummus, chia crackers, black sesame, black pepper
➃ Yellow bell pepper hummus, dried mulberries, dates, black tahini

➄ Yellow bell pepper hummus, alfalfa sprouts, red bell pepper, nutritional yeast, parsley
➅ Unsalted peanut butter, blueberries, cacao nibs

➆ Black tahini, pumpkin & beetroot falafel
➇ Peanut butter, banana, spicy chocolate ganache, hemp hearts, chia seeds, mint

This is what I call Anyhow Wholewheat Bread. Lols. It's actually not as big as it looks in previous pictures! This is a yeast bread, made with 3 basic ingredients - flour, yeast, water. And cinnamon (yesiaddittoeverything). It turned out surprisingly well this time! I've actually started making yeast bread 4 years ago, and have used a similar recipe. And sometimes it fails really badly LOL. Like I add too many ingredients to it - carrots, bananas, and other moist stuff. But now I know that those additions should just be used in quick breads (made with baking powder)!
 
And this is 'Anyhow' because I didn't bother proffing the yeast or checking whether it was alive (it was a new packet). Most recipes also call for some sugar when proofing, as food for the yeast, but this turned out fine without!
 
Most of the time my breads turn out too moist in the middle, but this wasn't. In fact, it was a little dry. :x Anyway it's the best result of all my years of yeast bread making. And I think that it's because I did the following:
1. Leave the bread to cool overnight, before cutting - it's much easier to cut and the extra moisture evaporates
2. Use a good brand of yeast & store opened packets in the refrigerator/freezer - this time I used red Star Quick Rise Instant Dry Yeast
3. Bake in a small loaf tin - more for the prettiness, because I don't really like the look of flat loafs!
4. Let it rise enough, especially for the second rise
5. Leave out moist ingredients
6. Use more yeast - maybe this wasn't necessary
7. make sure the water isn't too hot - the yeast will die
 
I used Waitrose Organic Strong Wholewheat Bread Flour this time, but usually I use Bob's Red Mill Stoneground Spelt Flour. And the flour is EXPIRED. >:( I bought it from Cold Storage Vivo and I didn't check the date - Sept 2013. Okay, almost expired. But there's like sticky things on the sides of the packet and I do not want to know what they are. Eww the more I think about them the more grossed out I get. So I have to sift the flour and check for unidentifiable clumps. Trust in Cold Storage shattered -_-
I still use it because I hate wasteing and always try to salvage whatever I can. Oh well. No food poisoning anyway.

The bread is so perfectly sliced ♡-♡ (lols self praise).
 
 
Anyhow Wholewheat Bread
Makes 1 small loaf (3.3 x 6 inches, bought from Daiso)
 
Ingredients
  • 250g wholewheat flour + more for dusting
  • 2 tsp instant yeast, quick rise is best
  • water, slightly warm to touch
  • additional, preferably dry, ingredients, use with caution
Method
  1. Add flour and yeast together.
  2. Gradually add in water and mix well. Add until it looks like it still needs more water. Knead with hands. Add more water if really needed.
  3. Form into a ball and leave in a warm place, until doubled in size.
  4. Punch the dough down. Place onto a floured surface and knead, folding in the edges and kneading it outwards. Form into a roll that will fit your baking pan.
  5. Place dough in lightly oiled baking pan. Leave to rise for at least an hour, a few hours more is best.
  6. Bake at 180 deg C for about 45 mins. The bottom of the loaf should sound hollow when tapped. Leave to cool completely before cutting.

Roasted Orange Maple Spiced Chickpeas

Ingredients
  • 1 cup chickpeas (use chickpeas cooked from dried ones, not canned)
  • 3 tsp orange zest
  • 1 tsp (or more to taste) maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • dash of cayenne
Method
  1. Make sure that chickpeas are as dry as possible. Remove any loose skins.
  2. Add in all ingredients.
  3. Bake at 180 deg C for about 30 mins, stirring once midway. Leave to cool. (Note: this method worked for me -the chickpeas turned out crunchy, but from reviews of other recipes, it was suggested to bake, cook, then bake again)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Gorgeous pictures! I especially love the avocado toast with roasted chickpeas on top. I love roasted chickpeas, but I've never made 'em sweet -- will have to try this recipe sometime!

    ReplyDelete