Latest Posts

Vanilla Rainbow Pancakes (no artificial colourings!) ♡

By 21:55 , , ,

Eat Your Rainbows, literally.
Vanilla Rainbow Pancakes layered with Banana slices, topped with a Coconut Tahini Glaze, Pomegranate and Hemp Hearts. With a strawberry and blueberries at the side. 

This is a recreation of one of Nom Yourself's dishes on Instagram, for the Nom Yourself Birthday Challenge. How exciting!! I would LOVE a Vitamix! And the Nom Yourself Cookbook! What I've seen so far on the #cookyourself hashtag looks amazing; not getting my hopes up but still, crossing all fingers and toes. :x

Even if I don't get shortlisted, I'm glad I've done this! The most tedious pancake-making to date! But I've been wanting to try something like this for quite some time now, so I'm super super duper glad with how the colours turned out! I was expecting more faint colours, as is usually the case with natural colouring, but it turned out wonderful ☺
 
Red: Beetroot Juice - stir in 1 tbsp water to 2 tbsp beetroot shreds and press the juice out
Orange: Carrot Shreds - about 1 tbsp
Yellow: Turmeric Powder - about 1/3 tsp
Green: Matcha Powder - 1 slightly rounded tsp
Blue: Purple (or Red) Cabbage Juice - boil about 1 cup chopped cabbage in about 1/3 cup water, then wait for the water to reduce as much as possible, or about 3 tbsp.
Purple: Purple Cabbage Juice and Beetroot Juice - roughly equal parts for each, though it also depends on how concentrated each juice is.
*Note: Colours turn darker after batter is cooked
 
Yes, I know the blue and purple are at wrong positions, but the blue pancake is my favourite of all of these! Not that it's my favourite colour (which is pink) but I didn't expect the colour to be so intense! ☺
I tried cooking the carrots the same way as the purple cabbage, but it didn't work. The method for the beetroot juice didn't work well for the carrots too, and I don't have a juicer. So I just used the carrot shreds; it turned out a bit lumpy but it's still good!
Didn't expect the turmeric to be so strong (colour-wise) and it turned out kinda orange! :x Surprisingly though, I didn't detect a turmeric taste when I was eating, perhaps because of the wonderful glaze!
The green in the matcha pancake was darker than I wanted it to be... A better alternative would be spinach, which sadly I'm out of.
 

The glaze was amazing. Mopped it all up, drizzled on some more and then mopped it all up again. I'd never have thought of using coconut milk for this! It's made with 2 tbsp coconut milk, 1 tsp raw tahini and 1 tsp maple syrup. Fragrant creaminess with just the right touch of sweetness.

I'm also super happy with how the pancakes turned out! Other than the colourings and some water, I used sifted wholewheat flour, vanilla essence, chia seeds and baking powder (totally forgot to add any sweetener). They were fluffy, thicker than my usual pancakes and not dry at all! Usually I have some sort of puree as a binder in my pancakes - banana puree, mango puree, persimmon puree or applesauce. But I wanted to keep it simple this time.. Actually I'm glad that they even turned out at all!


Maybe it's partially because I used a new pan! I bought a small pink (!) pan from Daiso ($2 shop) just for pancakes and crepes. It's actually non-stick, but the non-stick effect kinda wore out after my third pancake -_- Plus some parts of the base of the pan (originally pink) turned white, and some parts turned black, though I used low heat. And the handle conducts heat so I had to use a kitchen towel to hold it. Oh well, I shouldn't have such high expectations for a $2 product! It served me well for these pancakes anyway. ^^

I layered the pancakes with banana slices, but as you can see here I didn't lay them out quite evenly.. :x

A rainbow in your mouth.
 

Vanilla Rainbow Pancakes
Serves 1, though I'd suggest you make more to make the most out of your effort!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup sifted wholewheat or white flour
  • 2 level tsp chia seeds
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup (or more), if desired
  • Water
  • Natural Colourings:
  • Red: Beetroot Juice - stir in 1 tbsp water to 2 tbsp beetroot shreds and press the juice out
    Orange: Carrot Shreds - about 1 tbsp
    Yellow: Turmeric Powder - about 1/3 tsp (Alternative: saffron)
    Green: Matcha Powder - 1 slightly rounded tsp (Alternative: spinach)
    Blue: Purple (or Red) Cabbage Juice - boil about 1 cup chopped cabbage in about 1/3 cup water, then wait for the water to reduce as much as possible, or about 3 tbsp.
    Purple: Purple Cabbage Juice and Beetroot Juice - roughly equal parts for each, though the colour also depends on how concentrated each juice is.
    *Note: Colours turn darker after batter is cooked
Method
  1. Mix together flour, chia seeds, vanilla essence and baking powder.
  2. Divide evenly into 6 bowls.
  3. Mix in each of the natural colourings to respective bowls. Add 1/2 tsp maple syrup to each bowl. Stir in water (about 2-3 tbsp) until it reaches pancake batter consistency.
  4. Make sure that each bowl of batter is left to sit for about 10 minutes. You may need to add in 1-2 tbsp water as the batter thickens.
  5. Cook on a non-stick pan, greased with oil spray. Each colour batter makes one pancake. Flip once bubbles form.


Coconut Tahini Glaze
Serves 1

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1 tsp raw tahini (only ingredient is sesame seeds)
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
Method
Mix all ingredients together. Add more sweetener if desired. Drizzle over pancakes and enjoy!
 

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. By far the greatest stack of pancakes I've ever seen in my life!! Right down to the pomegranate seed heart on top, these are perfect and adorable. And I am seriously impressed by your inventiveness to think of a natural "food dye" for each of the colors. Such beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hehe they were fun to make! :)

      Delete
  2. Your blog is so beautiful and this is such a great example! I love the idea of coconut tahini glaze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's so simple but so yummy! ^^

      Delete
  3. Love how colourful your dishes look in general, but with these I got the urge to ask Putin for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A feast for the senses!! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so beautiful and creative! I'm so impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello fellow Vegan Mofo'er :-)

    Love your "Rainbow Pancakes" and would like to link to your recipe on the Vegan Mofo round up post on my blog this Friday.
    Nice to meet you btw.
    Sandra

    P.S. Connect with me on Facebook (CandidaDietPlan), @candidadiettips on Twitter and Sandra Boehner on Pinterest so you see when the post goes live ;-)

    P.P.S. Haven't seen such beautifully presented uniquely branded recipes as yours for a looong time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, and thank you so much once again!! Will check those out! :)

      Delete