Latest Posts

Chocolate, Sea-salt & Almond Swirl Bread

By 23:10 , , ,

 Chocolate, Sea-salt & Almond Swirl Wholewheat Yeast Bread! I had a slice topped with avocado, strawberries, raw tahini, cacao nibs and black pepper. And had more slices with banana :)
This turned out quite well, I think, albeit a bit dry (so it's best when dipped in plant milk or topped with fruit)! I used my Basic Wholewheat Anyhow Bread recipe and added 2 tbsp raw cacao powder to half of the dough (after first rise) and 2 cracks of black sea salt to the other half. And sprinkled chopped, raw soaked almond between the layers before rolling!

So glad with how the layers turned out! :) I can actually peel the layers out and I LOVE that! I didn't add any sugar so it wasn't a sweet bread ('chocolate' is kinda an exaggeration, its more like 'cacao' lols), and it has a slight savouriness from the salt.


The dough after first rise. I sprinkled it with flour because usually the surface of my bread get quite sticky after the first rise.

And no, I don't (and have never) tried using any starters for my bread... I'm a really amateurish bread maker!


It took me ages to knead in the cacao powder!! I had to add a few splashes of hot water too. Perhaps it's better to add it before the first rise.

This shows the chocolate layer pasted on the sea-salt layer (okay this makes it sound so salty but trust me, it's not!) with chopped soaked walnuts pressed in on top. I sprinkled on a bit of hot water between layers and on the top layer so that they'll stick!

As you can see, it looks super lumpy because I couldn't be bothered to pull out my rolling pin! So I just use my fingers hehe.

I used a tiny loaf pan, bought at Daiso. And this is a new wooden board bought at Chatuchak during my trip to Bangkok! 60 baht only :D (a little over SGD$2).

Love the swirls!



Chocolate, Sea-salt & Cinnamon Swirl Wholewheat Bread
Makes 1 small loaf (3.3 x 6 inches, bought from Daiso)
Ingredients
  • 250g wholewheat flour + more for dusting
  • 2 tsp instant yeast, quick rise is best
  • water, slightly warm to touch
  • 2 tbsp raw cacao + a little bit of hot water
  • 2 cracks sea salt
  • large handful soaked raw almonds, chopped
Method
  1. Add flour and yeast together.
  2. Gradually add in water and mix well. Add until it looks like it still needs more water. Knead with hands. Add more water if really needed.
  3. Form into a ball and leave in a warm place, until doubled in size.
  4. Punch the dough down. Place onto a floured surface. Divide dough into 2.
  5. Into one part of the dough, knead in the cacao, bit by bit. If dough gets too dry, add a little hot water to the cacao before incorporating it in.
  6. Into the other part of the dough, knead in the sea salt.
  7. Roll out both doughs, with a width roughly similar to the length of your baking tin. Dab a little water onto the sea salt dough (or the dough you want to see on the outside) and press on the cacao dough until completely adhered.
  8. Dab more water onto the cacao dough and press on the chopped almonds. Tightly roll the dough and form into a roll that will fit your baking pan.
  9. Place dough in lightly oiled baking pan. Brush the top with a little water and press in some more almonds/ nuts if desired. Leave to rise for at least an hour, a few hours more is best.
  10. Bake at 180 deg C for about 45 mins. The bottom of the loaf should sound hollow when tapped. Leave to cool completely before cutting.

You Might Also Like

0 comments