Latest Posts

Raw Carrot Cake with Lemon 'Cream Cheese' Frosting

By 22:47 , , ,

Raw Carrot Cake with Lemon 'Cream Cheese' Frosting! With a rim of raw tahini, squiggles of raw chocolate and lemon zest & carrot shreds.
 
This is inspired by Fully Raw Kristina's Raw Carrot Cupcakes that I've been wanting to try for ages! So glad with how it turned out! I feared that it would be too sweet or that it wouldn't hold together, but it's just right. :)
 
I tried to keep it as low-fat as possible, but I'm not sure how mine compares to Kristina's in terms of the fat content. Most likely more, though without the flaxseed meal and more almonds, I don't think the cake can really hold it's shape!
 
As you can see, the cake's texture is really... uneven and coarse :x My tiny food processor thing was dying trying to pulse the carrots! I had to pulse the ingredients separately and gradually mix them in, bit-by-bit, to pulse again. I can imagine that it'll be a breeze to make if you've got a good food processor or high-speed blender!

Actually this texture isn't bad; it gives it more bite! :)
 
I used a bit of nutritional yeast in the 'cream cheese' (which I have to admit isn't the best vegan cream cheese you can make, so feel free to use another recipe!) and I was wondering whether it's accepted even though it's not raw. But it seems like some raw foodists use it!

Love how the slightly sour frosting complements the sweetness of the cake!
Someday I'll improve my frosting-piping skills!


Raw Carrot Cake with Lemon 'Cream Cheese' Frosting
Makes 1 tiny cake, about 4 inches in diameter & 1.8 inches in height

Cake
  • 120g pitted medjool dates (about 8 medium)
  • 120g carrot (1 medium)
  • 50g soaked almonds
  • 3 tbsp flaxseed meal
  • 1 tbsp psyllium husk
  • slice of ginger
  • dash of cinnamon & nutmeg
Frosting
  • 50g soaked cashews
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
  • sweetener if desired, though not necessary
Method
  1. Blend all ingredients for the cake together in a food processor.
  2. Blend all ingredients for the frosting together in a food processor.
  3. In a small springform pan, scoop in 1/2 of the cake 'batter' and smooth out the surface.
  4. Spread about 1/2 of the frosting onto the cake.
  5. Add on the rest of the cake 'batter' and smooth out the surface.
  6. Refrigerate cake and rest of the frosting for at least 2 hours (I left mine overnight).
  7. Pipe on the rest of the frosting before serving. Enjoy!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Hi! Can I ask how long can this cake stay at room temperature?? Does it fall apart after a while?? Thanks!! Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you :) This cake tastes best when chilled, but it doesn't fall apart at room temperature! The refrigeration is mostly to remove excess moisture. ^^

      Delete
  2. thank you for your reply (:

    ReplyDelete