Latest Posts

Pumpkin, Lentil & Carrot Stew + Curry-Seaweed Puff Pastry Twists

By 14:42 , , ,

 Pumpkin, Lentil & Carrot Stew and Curry-Seaweed Puff Pastry Twists. I brought these for yesterday's Vegan Potluck!

Initially I wanted to make filo puff pastry cups and fill them with something pumpkin-y. But instead of filo pastry, I bought puff pastry by mistake. It's like when you (okay, I) find that something's vegan, you overlook everything else. Yup.


I got Borg's frozen puff pastry (bought from Cold Storage @ one-north). When I tried baking it for the first time it puffed up so much, like magic! So I decided to make vol-au-vents (or puff pastry cups) in place of filo cups.
They turned out like this, and it was my second try T.T. The really tricky thing about this was that Singapore's so hot (particularly those days when I wanted to bake these!!) that I had to do this in my bedroom with the aircon switched on and with a bowl of ice to cool my hands in. But disappointingly it didn't come out as I'd like it to.

For the last two weeks I ate quite a bit of puff pastry. You wouldn't expect it but when they're not fresh-out-of-the-oven crispy, they taste like roti prata. o.o My friends think so too.

And so I thought of making mini puff pastry pizzas. I even borrowed another muffin tin and a round cookie cutter (I only have heart-shaped ones) from a friend. Then two days before the potluck I decided on this!

 
And I didn't regret making these! People liked it, hurray! :') And it was finished! :')

For the pumpkin stew, I sliced off the top of the pumpkin (Dad helped me), removed the seeds (saving them for granola!) and baked both the 'bowl' and 'lid' until they were soft. Then I left it to cool overnight (I think this isn't necessary, but I did because I had to bake it on Thursday night so that I'll have time to make the rest on Friday!). The next day, I scooped out the pumpkin from the 'lid' and some from the 'bowl', pureed it and cooked it with (pre-cooked) lentils, carrots, dried cherry tomatoes and green chili. Rushed home after school to reheat this and make the puff pastry twists!


The twists are really simple. I think it tastes good because the pastry tastes good alone already lols.
While defrosting a puff pastry sheet on the counter, sprinkle on generous amounts of curry powder, seaweed and sea salt (if desired). Rub everything in using your fingers. The pastry sheet should be kinda soft by now (or at least in Singapore it would be!)
Run a knife down the sheet, cutting thin, even strips. Fold over each strip, press the ends, pull slightly and twist.


You can twist it either once or twice. This'll probably work with most other fillings too! 

Then bake until golden brown. This amount was made with two puff pastry sheets.
These were meant to be dipped in the pumpkin stew, but I don't think people realised! Lols :x
Pumpkin, Lentil & Carrot Stew
Ingredients
  • 1 medium pumpkin
  • 1 heaping cup cooked lentils
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1/3 cup chopped dried cherry tomatoes
  • 1 green chili
  • 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
  • a few cracks of black pepper
  • half handful of parsley
  • half handful of basil
  • black sea salt to taste

Method
  1. Cut off the top 1/5 of the pumpkin and remove the seeds.
  2. Bake both 'bowl' and 'lid' in the oven at 200 deg C for about 40mins, or until the insides are soft.
  3. Leave to cool slightly and cut below the 'skin' that forms on the 'bowl'. Scoop out only the sides of the pumpkin, to ensure a sturdy base. Also, scoop out the pumpkin from the 'lid'.
  4. Puree the pumpkin to get 2 cups of it (pumpkin will be in excess). Set aside.
  5. Using a julienne peeler, make about 1/3 cup of carrot strips. Set aside.
  6. Chop up the remaining carrot into chunks. Cook in a pan with a little water until water is reduced and carrots are soft.
  7. Add the lentils and pumpkin into the pan, with the carrots. Cook and add water until desired consistency.
  8. De-seed the chili and add it in. Also, stir in the dried cherry tomatoes and nutritional yeast. Continue cooking. Add black salt if needed.
  9. Reheat the pumpkin bowl in the oven.
  10. When ingredients are at desired softness, stir in parsley, basil and carrot shreds. Pour into the pumpkin bowl and garnish with more parsley. Enjoy!


Curry-Seaweed Puff Pastry Twists
Makes the amount shown above, in the last photo

Ingredients
  • 2 pieces frozen ready-rolled vegan puff pastry sheets
  • curry powder
  • seaweed
  • sea salt
Method
  1. While defrosting a puff pastry sheet on the counter, sprinkle on generous amounts of curry powder, seaweed and sea salt (if desired). Rub everything in using your fingers. The pastry sheet should be slightly soft by now.
  2. Run a knife down the sheet, cutting thin, even strips. Fold over each strip, press the ends, pull slightly and twist (either once or twice).
  3. Place on a well-oiled baking sheet/ baking paper and lightly press the ends down onto the sheet.
  4. Bake at 180 deg C for about 20 mins in a non-preheated oven, or until golden brown. Cool and enjoy!


You Might Also Like

0 comments