Latest Posts

Reindeer Black Bean Brownies! (+updates)

By 17:45 , , , ,

Reindeer Black Bean Brownies! Gluten-free, refined sugar-free, oil-free black bean macadamia nut brownies with reindeer-y details. I love how there's so many cute food ideas during this festive season! :)


I've just realised why they don't look very reindeer-ish. View first photo: The top left one looks fine, but the others are just.. weird :(  So if you make these, make sure that there's a wide-enough gap between the eyes and the nose!!
Fudge-y brownies. I ate one whole tray yesterday, with the exception of 2 reindeer which I gave my friend (she liked them! ^^). :x I froze the other one... when frozen for about 4-5 hours the texture is like a cross between ice cream and fudge! 

I've used a similar recipe twice before, but previously I used 2 bananas (instead of 1 here) so the banana taste was more prominent. You can still taste the banana here, so if you don't want that at all then I'll suggest that you replace it with applesauce!


I cut them using a disposable wine 'glass' (for I lack circle cookie cutters).

I'll get 12 circles from both trays, but as you can see the excess bits are really quite a lot! :/ There's only one thing to do - eat them!

For the reindeers' features - pretzels for the antlers; pureed firm tofu for the whites of the eyes, cacao nibs for the blacks; pomegranate seeds for the nose.

And black tahini to stick on the pretzels! (I tried using tofu but it didn't stick)

Pretzels are so super addictive (help!). I have really little self control when it comes to vegan junk food... Make sure to buy tiny pretzels; I bought another bag (with opaque packaging) and the pretzels were like the size of my palm -_- And now there's so many at home. -_-

Not a very clear photo of the texture, but it's fudgey, with crunchy bits of macadamia nuts! 

(Lols please make sure to leave enough distance between the eyes and nose)


Black Bean Brownies with Macadamia Nuts
Makes about 24 small brownies, or about 12-18 (depends how you cut them) reindeer
  • heaped 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans (a 15 ounce can should work fine too, though I've not tried it)
  • 1 medium (ripe) banana (or 1/3 cup applesauce if you'd rather not have that distinct banana taste)
  • 6 large medjool dates, pulsed into a paste the consistency of peanut butter (add 1 tbsp water if needed)
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used soy)
  • heaped 1/4 cup raw cacao (or unsweetened cocoa)
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (rolled oats pulsed in a food processor)
  • Optional: chopped macadamia nuts (I used about 1/4 cup) or other nuts/dried fruit
  • For reindeer brownies: small pretzels, cacao nibs, pomegranate seeds, firm tofu, black tahini
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Lightly oil an 8x10" pan and set aside.
  2. Combine all ingredients, except oat flour, in a food processor/blender and blend until smooth.
  3. Stir in oat flour (and nuts) and pour batter into pan. (For reindeer brownies, I make sure that the nuts are hidden so they don't spoil the reindeer's face!)
  4. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely (I left it overnight) before slicing.

I used a similar recipe (as mentioned above) for these:



On a side note, does anyone watch the Korean drama The Heirs? Watched the last episode yesterday and I am so missing the characters. :') Great drama. And I've listened to the OST countless times already. (Love love love the songs!) Ahh.. that moment when you finish a good drama series and don't know what to look forward to in your life any more. :'( :'( :'(

But this time, there's something to look forward to next week! I'm doing another 801010 Raw Week (to see the previous one, click here), and this time it'll include 3 days of Banana Island and 2 days of Melon Island. "Islands" are where you eat exclusively a fruit or a type of fruits. Some people also include one or two types of greens, but that's usually after a week or so on the Island. I'm just trying out 3 days (banana island) to see how I feel. For the melon island, some choose to do watermelon island but I'll probably have different kinds of melons! Wheeeeee~ I'm just super looking forward to not having to cook haha. And not having sink-fuls of dishes to wash daily. And eating as much as I want. And the watermelon expecially! :D So exciting omg. Do other (non raw vegan) people get excited over the prospect of eating a ton of fruit like me? I'll be going to the Pasir Panjang Wholesale Market later today, hopefully there'll still be lotsa fruits there in the afternoon... *crosses fingers* I have no idea where to put all those fruit though. Haha. Like I'm not kidding, there really isn't space for 12 bunches of bananas and at least a box-full of other fruits in my tiny kitchen/house.. My bedroom floor maybe. Well, I'll figure that out later.

Have a lovely day! :)


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. The reindeer brownies look super duper cute, Serene!! ~ Angela

    ReplyDelete