Latest Posts

Real Food @ West Coast Plaza, The Central & Killiney

By 21:52 , , , ,

For a more recent post on Real Food (West Coast Plaza), view this post.
Real Food is a fully vegetarian restaurant with many vegan, gluten-free and soy-free options! I've been to it's various outlets a total of 5 times and it (almost always) didn't disappoint! Also, they have a health-food/grocery section which is nice to browse through after your meal :)

I went to the West Coast Plaza outlet for lunch with my friend today! I had their signature dish, Dumplings, with an added bowl of brown rice. The dumplings (which have no less than 10 ingredients) are raved about by many people and I've seen good reviews on many blogs! It's also my third time having it, which says a lot since I rarely order Chinese-y food when there's a choice of Western, and I almost always try something new whenever I visit a restaurant (since I don't usually eat out). This is $7.00 for 6 dumplings with some veggies in a flavourful broth. I find the soup to be a tiny bit too salty for my liking, but I didn't feel thirsty at all afterwards! :) The brown rice (a mix of 5 different organic grains, including red rice and various beans) comes at an additional charge of $0.50, and you can also choose brown rice vermicelli or udon for the same price. I think this is one of the most 'worth-it' dishes on the menu!

My friend had the Portobello Mushroom Burger (can't remember the exact name) and she loved it too! Previously, (you'll see it later below) I had it at this same outlet and it was visibly smaller then! o_o Haha. It was one of the best portobello burgers I've ever tasted! The battered patty is so juicy and crispy and amazing!!

The storefront of the outlet at West Coast Plaza. It's quite a small one compared to the others!

By the way, if you're planning of taking photos (of food or yourself), I recommend that you go up the small flight of stairs and sit at the back of the shop. Sat there for the previous few photos and the lighting was great, while I sat at the main (?) area for the photos below and it wasn't so pretty.

This was when I visited the outlet for the first time with Mum. See! The significant difference in patty size.

This Beet (Millet) Burger ($12.80) was not bad too. It loses out on the presentation though!
Oh yes, the burgers were served with raw, dehydrated fruit/veggie chips. Yum!

<When I was eating, a mum with two kids (boys, lower primary age) sat down at a neighbouring table. Then the older boy realised that this whole cafe served no meat, whined to his mum, and they all left. -_-

I wonder why I never went though a stage in my childhood where I question why we torture and kill animals (unnecessarily, solely for greed). I guess it's because I'm the don't-question-just-accept kinda people. Such ignorance.>

This is the Organic Fruit Rojak ($6.80) which had a really appetizing sweet and sour plum sauce! Plus it's so rare for a rojak to be vegan, since the sauce usually has shrimp paste. But I feel that it's not quite worth it for the price.

I also went to the outlet at Killiney with a couple of new friends. This outlet was quite big!

I had the Organic Lentils and Potatoes Soup ($8.80) which was somewhat disappointing. The portion size was quite small and wasn't that filling! 

Though I love that the Real Food menu states very clearly which foods are vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, have onions/garlic etc, and have good food descriptions, there are no photos. So it's really difficult to know how large the portion size is!

This is the outlet at The Central, which was it's first one! It's quite big too.

Had this with mum nearly a year ago. It was my first time at Real Food! We shared the Assorted Vegetable Balls Pasta (made with beet, lentils and chickpea) ($13.80), Stuffed Veggie Salad and a Dumpling Soup. The pasta was quite good, the salad was mediocre and the dumplings were... classic. 

Went back another time to The Central outlet with both mum and dad! Dad loved the dumplings! Which says a lot since he doesn't (didn't?) really appreciate vegan food.

It looks kinda different from the one I had earlier today.

Mushroom pasta. I can't remember how it was but it wasn't bad.


Orange and Pumpkin Vinaigrette Salad ($10.80). This was average, kinda pricey.

Lentil (Quinoa) Burger ($12.80). Not bad but I'd very much prefer the Portobello Burger!


I feel that Real Food is a great vegetarian establishment, with a good concept, and it's a lovely place to bring your non-veggie friends!! :) (Except for those stubborn, I-hate-animals-they-must-die-for-me kinda people.) I love the atmosphere of the cafes and how relaxing it feels (especially the WCP one on a weekday afternoon) ^^ 







SONNENTOR PENANG
Lot/Unit No 3A-G-13D Block A,
Ground floor, Straits Quay,
Jalan Seri Tanjung Pinang,
Tanjong Tokong
Penang 10470
T: +60 48908295

You Might Also Like

0 comments