Latest Posts

Gluten-free Pink Dragonfruit Cupcakes

By 19:48 , , , , , , ,

V-day-inspired cupcakes! Gluten-free Pink Dragonfruit Cupcakes topped with a chocolate flavoured 'icing'. It's also oil-free!

Actually, calling them cupcakes is a bit of a stretch, because the texture is more like kueh. But the fact that something solid even came out of it is already great, because I'm new to gluten-free baking (except with oat-flour), it's my first time baking with dragonfruit and I just threw things together for this! ^^

I love the vibrant colour of pink/purple dragonfruit! It's also sweeter than white-fleshed dragonfruits :) 

I peeled open the casing to find that the bottom of the cupcake/kueh is ORANGE COLOURED! Wow! It's like a gradient cake hahaha.

The texture is quite moist, as you can see. I think it'll be better if I let it cool for a few hours...
The black flecks are ground-up dragonfruit seeds! And that gap in the middle is where I poked the skewer to attach the dragonfruit heart on top.

This is what the batter looks like. Surprisingly, when dragonfruit is pureed, it forms a gel-like consistency, similar to a flax 'egg' (1 part flaxseed meal to 3 parts water)! I was planning to add a flax egg but I decided that the dragonfruit puree will do. 

I used a newly bought pack of Orgran gluten-free all purpose flour and some coconut flour that I forgot at the back of the cupboard. I still need lots more practice in gluten-free baking! And maybe I should follow a recipe next time and not just throw everything together hehe :x

Pardon the poor piping skills.


Gluten-free Pink Dragonfruit Cupcakes
This recipe is just for reference, it needs to be improved! 
Makes 4 mini cupcakes, as shown above

Ingredients

  • DRY
  • 1/2 cup Orgran all purpose gluten-free flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1-2 tbsp coconut sugar (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • WET
  • 1/3 cup pink dragonfruit, blended (it'll have a gel-like consistency)
  • 1/2 cup soymilk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • Chocolate flavoured 'icing': firm tofu + chocolate stevia drops, blend and leave in fridge to chill.
  1. Mix dry ingredients together.
  2. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together.
  3. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
  4. Prepare cupcake liners/muffin cups (small ones are preferable for more even cooking) and pour in the batter. 
  5. Bake at 150 deg C in a preheated oven for 22-25 minutes. Leave to cool for at least an hour.
  6. Pipe on the 'icing' and add a piece of fruit on top. ^^


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!



You Might Also Like

0 comments