Latest Posts

Loving Hut's Grand Opening @ Joo Chiat! ♡

By 21:44 , ,

On the 22nd February (last Saturday), I was invited for the Grand Opening of Loving Hut's Joo Chiat outlet! ^^ (Thanks Ting Ting for the invite!)


Loving Hut is the largest international chain of vegan restaurants. There are over 200 stores worldwide! It was my first time at Loving Hut though. About 5 years back, there was a Loving Hut at Bukit Merah, but the restaurant didn't look very nice (both food and ambience-wise), nor was it popular. But WOW. So much has changed with this new outlet!

I super love the decor!!! Especially the 'Vegan & Love'!

There's like this somewhat rustic and homely feel to it all.

There were cheerful yellow balloons tied to each chair! ^^

A very cute mural of happy animals. I was too lazy to stand up and push the balloons away... haha maybe next time!


We were served non-alcoholic sparkling vegan wine. It didn't really taste like wine, but it was nice!

As we waited for the programmes to start, we were served appetisers like these Tempeh Pops! They were really really good!! Like takoyaki, but better. ;) However, the strangest part is, that it didn't taste like tempeh at all! Perhaps that's why it tasted good - not that I have anything against tempeh (but it's quite an acquired taste).

And these are canapés! Or bruschetta. I can't tell; I'm not really good with food names.

Then there was this short performance by the chefs! Hahaha :D
There was also a welcome address by the director of Loving Hut and a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony!

We had music played by a harpist, and it was wonderful! It made the whole place seem so high-class lols. There were also lovely vocal performances. ^^



AND NOW FOR WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR...

ON TO THE FOOD!

This satay was so amazingly good! The sauce was so wonderfully thick and fragrant too! Mock meat usually isn't a favourite of mine... but I think satay is my weakness. :x

A Soba Salad Bar! I believe this is the Bali Bliss Soba Salad in the menu. ^^ The white shreds at the top left is jicama, if you were wondering!


There were two desserts available, this Peach & Banana Crumble, and the following Sago Gula Melaka! This was SO AMAZING OMG. More about it later!

This agar-agar pudding dessert was so-so, definitely out-shined by the crumble! Gula melaka is brown sugar, by the way.

The young people were asked to get their food first, followed by the younger, and the youngest LOL. So that's why the desserts are in front - we went around taking photos as we waited for the queue to shorten! Haha I think we were quite funny (and perhaps also a disturbance oops) since 4 of us were taking turns to have a shot at each food item.

The main spread!

This lasagne was delicious! I think it's my first time having a vegan one, too. This was not cloyingly heavy, leaves you wanting more, and is probably as guilt-free as any (real) lasagne can get! (By real, I'm not comparing it with zucchini lasagnes XD )

I love that they managed to stuff so many veggies in lols ^^

Nyonya Rendang Crepe. This didn't really leave an impression so I can't quite remember what it tasted like. I do remember though, that I felt the crepe was a little too rubbery and the filling-to-crepe ratio could be more!

This is Kerubu. It's traditionally a Malaysian dish that's often served as an accompaniment to dishes and it's a spicy, sweet and sour salad. It tasted not bad, but it would've been better if there wasn't so many onions!! 

I didn't get a closer shot of the Fruit Achar at the back, but you'll see it later. In my opinion, it was probably the most unexpected dish there! I've previously only had & heard of the spicy veggie achars, but this was sweet and chewy and like at my first bite I was thinking "What's this amazing this I'm eating?!" It has dried apricots, figs and cranberries! It would be so good on toast!! 

Cream of Mushroom Soup! It was surprisingly very creamy. 
A bit too creamy for my taste though hehe.

There was also Organic Brown Rice, which was cooked well. 


Spicy Eggplant. I've recently realised how yummy and versatile eggplant can be when its cooked till soft, and this was perfect! A tad spicy when eaten on it's own, but that what the rice's for!

Tofu Scramble. It looks more like eggs than any of mine has ever looked, but I felt that it was a little dry and visually unappealing. Some green garnish would be good, since we eat with our eyes first! ;)

My first plate! Clockwise, it's satay (with peanut sauce, cucumber, pineapple and rice cake), lasagne, nyonya rendang crepe, spicy eggplant, fruit achar, organic brown rice and tofu scramble.

The bag at the top right is the door gift - a bag of coffee! Just what I need to stay awake while studying during this exam period.. Haha. And Loving Hut's slogan is lovely: "Be Vegan, Make Peace".

This shot is for the sole purpose of showing you the wonderful-ness of the lasagne.

The 'we' and 'us' mentioned earlier refers to those I sat with: Chen Xi (@peabrainner), Yi Shuai (@morethanveggies) and Jing Zhi (@sg_vegan_triathlete), all of whom I've met at previous vegan potlucks. :) And of course we all had to take photos of our food before eating. They all had their professional front-sharp-back-blur cameras while I'm stuck with my iPhone. LOL

Next plate! Here you see the soba salad, kerabu, bruschetta, lasagne, spicy eggplant and mushroom soup. I regret not getting more of the satay and fruit achar!! But I was saving space for dessert hehe.

Having been vegetarian for a year and vegan for another, I'm already past the discovery "I can't believe this is vegan?!" stage. But at the first bite of this peach and banana crumble, that was my first thought! I loved the flaky crust, the smooth custard, the sweet, melty fruits and the caramelized sugar on top. It was not-too-sweet too! We were appalled to find that this was NOT ON THE MENU!!! :O It totally should be! LOL

I'll surely be going back with my friends and family. Especially with these great promos whee! ^^ It's definitely a place where even meat-lovers can enjoy the food!!



Loving Hut Joo Chiat 

Address: 229 Joo Chiat Road
 #01-01
Tel: 6348 6318
Sun - Thur: 11.00 - 21.30

Fri - Sat: 11.00 - 22.00
Mon - Fri close: 15.00 - 17.30



You Might Also Like

2 comments