Latest Posts

The Living Cafe & Deli (Again!) ^^

By 22:00 , , , , ,

For more about TLC, view this other post.

I visited The Living Cafe today for late lunch with a friend! It was after a grueling 7km+ hike (okay it was a walk but hike sounds more adventurous) from Harbourfront to home [Marang Trail - Mount Faber Park - Henderson Waves - Hilltop Walk - Forest Walk - Alexandra Arch - HortPark - Kent Ridge Park - Home]. It was supposed to be less than 6km but we got lost at the start... despite me having walked this trail countless of times with my mum. My legs are so heavy and tired.

Okay, back to the food! The menu was similar to the last time I came here, though that was quite a while back and I expected some change. It's kinda limited and only this page had the mains and the sides; the next page had drinks. The desserts are ordered from the counter.

Also, the doors and window were left open, and the aircon wasn't switched on. IT WAS HOT.

Oh yes, and their name has changed to The Living Cafe & Deli. Ooh.

I like glass. 

They didn't put mint in the water like they did previously!

I like wood too.

The main focus of this photo isn't the lady, oops. 

I ordered the Vegan Quinoa Burger ($15). IT WAS GOOD. And so photogenic too. Previously, it was put on a long white plate but this wooden board looks so much prettier! Plus, they cut the base of a paperbag to hold the sweet potato wedges, and the used the top to line the wooden board - so creative! Hahaha I love it when food looks good. :)

The quinoa patty was more like quinoa and veggies held together loosely and formed into a patty shape. But nonetheless, it was yummy and flavourful!

Between the buns (which were just right - not too fluffy and not too tough), there were microgreens, the patty (not really visible here), tomato, balsamic reduction, romaine lettuce and cashew mayo.

The burger came with a side of coleslaw and sweet potato wedges. The coleslaw was refreshing and not creamy. The wedges were nicely seasoned with cracked black pepper and a spice that I'm unable to identify (looks like cumin but rounder :x )

It's more soft than crispy, and I feel that a tiny bit less oil could've been used. And I'm kinda biased towards Japanese sweet potatoes, because these were sweet but not that sweet. But I like that they kept the skin on them! 

In all, I felt that this was really worth the price - delicious, filling, healthy* and photogenic. ;)

*Depending on individual definitions of healthy.

Then (after letting our food digest for a while) we went to attack the desserts! Haha.

They sell wraps. Pricey.


I've probably mentioned this before, but did you know that you can buy a large, perfectly ripe papaya at $1 each (when Giant has a promo - and it's not even reduced-to-clear!)? So my thoughts whenever I see expensive food is like "You can buy 10 papayas (10 meals) with this." I believe $1 is also the average price for a banana mono-meal. ...Doesn't always deter me though hahaha.



2.5 papayas.


We got three raw desserts - Strawberry Mocha Slice, German Chocolate Cake and Blueberry Cheesecake.

This German Chocolate Cake ($8.50) was really rich, dense, chocolate-y and coconut-y. Great for chocolate lovers but even if you are one, it's probably impossible to finish one by yourself! It something that you'd get sick of after eating a bit. Haha :x

It also contains honey (which strict vegans don't consume), and I only noticed after eating. So, I think non-vegan ingredients could be displayed more prominently, or at least in bold in the ingredient list.

What's interesting though, is that I believe that the icing/cream/sauce(?) on top is made of zucchini!! I've used zucchini to ice/fill a cake before, because my fridge was void of my most-commonly-used icing ingredient - silken tofu. And it didn't turn out that great. Hehe. But this was good! You'd never have guessed that it's zucchini.
Unless I'm wrong and it really isn't zucchini hahaha.

Strawberry Mocha Slice ($5.00). I liked the creamy, smooth strawberry layer and the crunchy, fig-y crust, but the chocolate was too much after the German Chocolate Cake. 
If all of the denser cakes were this size that'll be good!

This Blueberry Cheesecake ($8.50) was lighter and fluffier than the previous two cakes, due to the use of psyllium husk. It reminded me of blueberry jam! We liked this one the most, because it wasn't dense, heavy and chocolate-y. :x


Overall, I feel that despite the small-ish menu, the food and the ambiance is good! There's also no service charge and no GST. Being a non-veg establishment (they serve meat), it's probably a more suitable place than fully vegan restaurants when you're eating with veggie-hating people lols. Plus I think that this is the best place for raw vegan cakes in Singapore! :)



The Living Cafe
779 Bukit Timah Rd, 269758

How to get there: Alight at Farrer Road MRT (CC20) and take bus 174
Phone: 6762 8029

Monday: 11:00 am – 7:00 pm

Tuesday-Friday: 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am – 10:00 pm
Sunday: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm



         

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Great review, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to visit the place too. There is this map called CafeSG that lets you find all the local cafes in Singapore! Super useful for cafe hopping and to discover new cafes near home and workplace.

    http://cafesg.bigspoon.sg/

    Hope to see more reviews from you

    ReplyDelete