Latest Posts

Happy Mother's Day - Easy Peasy Vegan Chocolate Cake + DIY Paper Bunting

By 16:31 , , , ,

Happy Mother's Day!!

I baked a chocolate cake for Mum. ^^ I'm glad that it turned out well and that she enjoyed it!

I adapted a recipe from Instructables. Mum liked that it was slightly denser than those storebought cakes, and it was 'almost sweet enough' (I thought that it was just right - it tasted unhealthy haha). Well, maybe I shouldn't have decreased the amount of sugar heh (I wanted to use just 1/2 cup but then I remembered that Mum likes sweet things so I used 3/4 cup..). I think it would've been better if I added more cacao powder though! 

But still, I believe that this is the BEST whole cake I've EVER baked. I'm always apprehensive about baking whole cakes because the middle might not cook well. This (it took 1hr baking time instead of the recommended 30 mins) has totally given me faith in my baking skills LOL.

But first, more about the paper bunting! It's such a cute prop for desserts and I've always wanted to try making it. And finally, I did! 

All you need is:
- colourful string (I got mine from Daiso)
- UHU glue
- scissors
- 2 wooden skewers
- colourful paper (I cheated and used paper post-its!)
- marker
- lotsa PATIENCE
It's worth it though - cakes look so pretty with it! Plus it's reusable if you don't glue the paper on. 
*ahem Father's Day ahem*


Now for the cake!

This is what the batter looks like before going into the oven. The consistency was flow-y but thick.

I baked it for 30 mins (as the original recipe instructed) but to my horror, the middle was still very moist! Luckily, it firmed up after another 30 mins of baking.

Evil looking smile.

I left it to cool while Mum & I went for a dip in the pool. ^^

It was quite cool after an hour. It looks so good!!!

I had to cut a bit off the top.

The bits of 'crust' were SO GOOD. I devoured them. I really need to make muffins with this recipe - there'll be so much more 'crust'!!

This is a blur photo, but the air bubbles were perfect!!

I spread tofu mousse (plain tofu + psyllium husk) and sprinkled on chopped pecans to one half.

And topped it with HUMONGOUS strawberries, and blueberries and rainbow sprinkles.

The cake is small but it looks even tinier with the strawberries!!

The strawberries make my cake look even smaller ._.

And then I added on the bunting! ^^

This was lunch hehe.

If you were wondering what those drinks are - I had a fruit tea and mum had the same fruit tea + soymilk (it was weird).

Undecided about whether I consider this 'healthy' haha. I mean, I use healthier ingredients like wholemeal spelt flour, coconut sugar (which SMELLS LIKE COOKIES!!!) and extra virgin olive oil. But as for the proportion of ingredients - the amount of sugar is shocking!

The wonderful thing about this recipe is that there isn't even an egg or milk or butter substitute!! So magical!

Dad bought me this cake knife for my birthday and I finally got to use it! He's overseas by the way. Took the chance to bake chocolate cake since he doesn't like it!


We each had 2 slices each yum yum.



Easy Peasy Vegan Chocolate Cake
Serves 3-6
Recipe adapted from Instructables

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup* wholewheat spelt flour (or other flour)
  • 3/4 cup* coconut sugar (or other sugar)
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder; I'll use 1/2 cup next time)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup water at room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
  • 1 tsp coconut vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
  • Note: If you want it sweet, follow the original recipe and use 1 1/4 cup flour and 1 cup sugar
Method
  1. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
  2. In another bowl, mix all wet ingredients together.
  3. Pour wet ingredients into dry. Mix well until no lumps of flour can be seen.
  4. Lightly oil a small pan (mine was 1.0L in volume). Pour in the batter.
  5. In a preheated oven, bake at 180 deg C for 15 mins, then lower the temperature to 150 deg C and bake for about another 35-45 mins, or until a skewer poked into the center comes out clean.
  6. Once done, remove from oven and leave the cake to cool (in the pan) for about 1 hour.
  7. Slide a knife about the edges and remove cake from pan. Ice and top with fruits as desired. Enjoy! :)



You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Hi Serene! Thanks for the recipe! The cake looks amazing!
    Just wondering if you've got a detailed recipe for tofu mousse.
    Also, can I substitute psyllium husk with something else?
    Thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Popsy! Thank you!! :) The tofu mousse is simply made of one tube of silken tofu, blended (in a food processor) with 1 level tsp psyllium husk. You can add some liquid sweetener if you'd like - stevia or maple syrup.
      The psyllium husk is used to thicken us the pureed tofu, so it's not so runny! You can use flaxseed meal or other flour-less flours (coconut flour, peanut flour, quinoa flour etc.) to replace that, but you might have to use a larger quantity (maybe 2 tsp)! Otherwise, just tofu blended with icing sugar might work - but I've not tried it before! ^^;

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much Serene for the recipe :) I ended up using both icing sugar and psyllium husk. Added to much psyllium husk cause the tofu puree was a bit runny. Love the recipe though! Have been trying to find a perfect healthy frosting recipe and this is certainly one of my favourite :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe you're welcome! I saw the photo on Instagram and it looks great! :D Psyllium husk is supposed to absorb moisture, so if you let it sit longer it'll be less runny. So glad that you like it!!!

      Delete
  3. i miss your blog posts! they always inspire me to whip up something colourful for my meals :)
    all the best ~
    maisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Maisy! :') <3 I'll be posting more often in a few weeks' time!

      Delete
    2. yay! glad to know you're gonna be back soon :)

      Delete