Latest Posts

Calamansi Lime Freezer Pie! ♡

By 09:59 , , ,

I had perfectly ripe avocados and I couldn't decide what to do with them.
Then I went for a jog and ideas came flowing!

This is a Calamansi Lime Freezer Pie, made with a chewy pecan-date base, a smooth mousse-like avocado-lime filling and rich hard-shell chocolate on top. ^^ This is a blend-layer-freeze kinda recipe, with only 5 ingredients, excluding the topping. It can be made raw too, if the nuts you use in the crust are raw. It's kinda similar to my Raw Lime Pie I made a year ago.


Calamansi lime juice is really delicious to add to so many foods! Here I'm using 7 limes and 2 avocados for the filling.

The base is made purely of pecans and medjool dates. I wanted to use cashews but I'd run out. Luckily, pecans turned out very well for this! Sweet and fragrant ^^

The consistency of the base is kinda like that of a Larabar! Yum yum. I didn't use the whole tray of space so that I'll be able to have a thicker base! :)

The colour of the filling is so lovely! 
Avocado + lime juice + psyllium husk + stevia.

I decided to use stevia for this so that it won't change the colour of the filling! The psyllium husk is added to ensure that it thickens up; I only used 1 tsp here but you can use 2-3 tsp for a firmer filling.

Just spread the filling onto the base, add toppings and place in the freezer. 

I left it in for 2 hours because I couldn't wait, but I think it can do with more heh. Though I think my freezer is weak/overcrowded (from all the bananas and dates and vegan puff pastry lol) so it's not really cold; 2 hours may work for you. Also, you can freeze it overnight and leave to defrost for about half an hour. 

And it's done!

I tried to do a nice pattern with the chocolate but I failed haha. It's the same Super Simple Dark Chocolate as the one I used in my Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Cups!

The base is sweet and chewy, the filling is tart and melty, and the chocolate is bitter and rich. So yummy!! 

You can choose not to add stevia or other sweeteners to the filling too, since the base is sweet already!

Try to resist eating them all at one go. Try. ;)


Calamansi Lime Pie
Fills a 15cm x 15cm tray

Ingredients
Base: 
  • 120g pitted dates (about 10 medium medjool dates)
  • 50g pecan nuts (other nuts are fine too)
Filling:
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • Juice of 6-8 calamansi limes
  • 1 tsp psyllium husk (or use more for a firmer filling)
  • 14 drops NuNaturals liquid stevia (optional)
Topping (anything you want, but I went with): 
  • Hardshell chocolate (Super Simple Dark Chocolate recipe here)
  • Strawberries
  • Hemp seeds

Method
  1. In a food processor, pulse nuts until finely chopped and add in the pitted dates. Continue processing until the mix is uniform and can easily form a ball.
  2. Flatten the 'dough' onto a tray lined with aluminum foil/baking paper (for easier removal).
  3. Blend the ingredients for the filling until it becomes completely smooth. 
  4. Spread onto the base. Drizzle on the chocolate and add the strawberries.
  5. Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
  6. Remove from freezer and cut into pieces. Sprinkle with hemp seeds before serving.





You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This looks so good! I think i'll try it with less avo and some banana instead, and with oats instead of nuts :) we'll see how it works out.
    **Maisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yay thanks!! Looking forward to see how it turns out! :)

      Delete