Latest Posts

Orange-Carrot Spiced 'Creepy Pig' Pancakes

By 10:31 ,

"What are you staring at", says the pigs.

Hahahaha laughing at my horrendous piping skillz. And yes, they're both supposed to be pigs. 

I used this pig pan from Daiso. The pan looks soooo much cuter and friendlier than the pancakes. I would've preferred it if the pan wasn't pointier at the end. The pigs come out v-faced haha.

But as far as Daiso pans go, this seems quite durable! It didn't warp or burn after my first use.

I made Orange-Carrot Spiced pancakes.

Make sure you coat the pan with oil-spray before pouring in the batter. I used the lowest flame on the smallest stove. I wouldn't recommend pouring the batter in all the way like I did here - it's better to fill it up only halfway. The top didn't cook so I flipped it over onto another pan.

And it looks CREEPY. Hahaha

But I dressed them up a bit so I guess they don't look that bad.

I piped on some chocolate sauce (cacao + water + stevia) onto the white plate but sadly the pancake covered most of it. And it's peanut sauce (peanut flour + water + stevia) on the black plate. I mixed the ingredients for the sauce directly in a sandwich bag (before cutting a small corner off to pipe) and obviously I didn't do a good job of mixing for the peanut sauce.

That's peanut-tahini sauce, maple syrup and strawberry jam at the side. 

I made mum this smaller one because she had to go out soon after.


Both of the pig's ears have strawberry jam in a heart shape but it's not very obvious.

Yes, this looks more like a bear. ._.

I forgot about adding any sweetener to the batter oops. But that's what the jam and syrup is here for. ^^ I think that this can easily be made into a savoury pancake if you add some salt/ salt-free seasoning!

Fruits at the side.

Mum said that it tasted like an Indian pancake. Haha :x It reminded me of okonomiyaki actually heh. 

It didn't turn out fluffy or cake-like, but it's more moist and soft. Probably because I cooked it too thick! Nonetheless, I enjoyed it.

Yum yum. Thick pancakes are pretty good. Especially because they require much less effort!


Orange-Carrot Spiced Pancakes
Serves 1-2

Ingredients
Dry:
1/2 cup spelt flour (or wholewheat flour)
2 level tsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
Dash of cinnamon & nutmeg

Wet:
Juice and pulp of 1/2 medium orange
1/4 cup carrot shreds
1/2-3/4 cup water or non-dairy milk (I used a mix of unsweetened soymilk and water)
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Sweetener of choice, to taste (or make this savoury and add salt/salt-free seasoning instead)

Method

  1. Mix dry ingredients together.
  2. Add in the wet ingredients. Vary the amount of water/milk depending on how thick you want your batter to be.
  3. Mix well and leave batter to sit for 10 minutes. Batter will thicken as chia seeds expand.
  4. Pour into a well-oiled pan and cook.
  5. Top with fruits/sauce of your choice and enjoy!


Have a great weekend!



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Hi Serene - Thanks so much for your sweet comment! You're right, you didn't hear from me for a while because i was busy getting my bachelor's degree (which i did, yay!), and now i'm about to start my masters program, so things are a bit all over the place. But i do love all your awesome vegan posts - for example today's post! I mean, how adorable are those Piggy Pancakes?! *-*
    I'm flattered you like my content as well!

    Also: Actually the name's Maisy but Alice is also a very pretty name, so i won't complain :)

    x Maisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg oops sorry I got your name wrong! :x How did you blog name come about then? :) Oh wow I see, congrats on your bachelor's degree!! Hehe aww glad that you find the pigs cute!

      Delete
    2. Haha no worries! i think back in 2011 when i initially came up with that blog name i thought of "Alice in Wonderland" and trying to "become the best version of myself" which then kind of came together in the name "Becoming Alice" :)
      Yeah, you are definitely a major inspiration when it comes to vegan food and also the photographs! :)

      Delete
    3. Oh I see! Haha that's interesting. I like Alice in Wonderland too! ^^ Aww thanks for the compliments! :')

      Delete