Latest Posts

Pie-in-a-jar!

By 12:11 , , ,

I was bored one day at work last week and I chanced upon a Buzzfeed post on things to do with jars. JARS!! I have so many of them. So of course I had to read it. Hehe.

And I actually found something useful! Like after reading tons of articles and lists from time-wasting websites, this was the first idea I've actually used. LOL. This recipe for Single Serving Pie in a Jar from Our Best Bites looked so cute! I didn't exactly read it before I tried this though, the pictures were informative enough.

Plus I have so many jars that I've been too lazy to continue selling.. though if you still want to buy any from me you still can. ^^

I'm using 4 oz (120 ml) jars!

For the crust, I used leftover vegan puff pastry. The corners and unwanted bits.

This puff pastry tastes SO GOOD. Like SO GOOD. 

I've used it in Curry-Seaweed Twists and Chia Tarts.

I mixed the dough together before re-rolling it out, because I thought that the dough will rise. But now I know that even if I used fresh sheets, it wouldn't rise much since the fillings are so heavy and moist.

All you need to do for this step is to pinch off bits of dough and flatten it onto the inner walls of the jars. It's like playing with clay or playdoh hehe! There's not really a need to poke the base of the dough, though I did try to minimize the air bubbles.

After baking, the crust kinda stuck to the jar, especially the upper edge near the rim! Oiling the jar first might help, but then the dough wouldn't stick properly. Maybe having a thicker crust would help? ...or you could always scoop some ice cream into the jar as you eat and it can help to soften the crust. ;)

Some of the fillings for the pies! I chose to go with three flavours - Apple, Pumpkin and Blueberry Pear. Next time I'll try making savoury ones!!

Btw the amount of blueberries you see here is what went into one jar.

For the pumpkin pie I filled it with roasted pumpkin puree. I roasted about 300g of pumpkin in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 deg C, and then pureed it with 1/4 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.

I didn't add any water or milk so it's really thick and concentrated! :)

Now for the assembly!

The apple pie mix has raw apples, oat bran, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. 

The blueberry-pear pie has alternating layers of blueberries and pear slices.


I ended up adding more pumpkin puree for the pumpkin one.

I didn't have enough defrosted dough to make a proper upper crust, so I made shapes and my very first lattice! Lols the widths are very uneven because they were really the last few long bits of dough I had left.

So handy to store for another day.

It's good to label them too!

The pumpkin pie turned out well! I'm glad that my lattice kinda survived heh. The top was crispy and the insides were smooth and thick. Nextime though, I'll add something else to the filling so that there'll be different textures. Maybe raisins, dried cranberries, nuts or pumpkin chunks.

This was the only pie that expanded..

Meh my apple pie sank. It looked quite good in the oven but it went down as it cooled. -_- Maybe I should pile on the apples next time.

This pie actually rose a lot in the oven until it was bubbling over, but after cooking it sank substantially. I guess that this really needs an upper crust then!

Still, mum really enjoyed this!
 She was surprised that all I added to the filling was blueberries and pear, because there was so much 'sauce'! Yum yum it was like blueberry jam!

The apple pie was good too! The apples got nicely soft and the oats added a nice texture. ^^

These pies were fun to make and I'll definitely try them again! It wouldn't hurt to make them in a larger jar too - that just means more filling yum yum!

Pie-in-a-jar

Ingredients
frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed OR other pie crust dough

Apple pie (enough for 3-4 4 oz jars)
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 2 tbsp oat bran/ roughly pulsed rolled oats
- ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger

Blueberry-pear pie (enough for 2-3 jars)
- about 1/2 of a 150g box blueberries
- 1 small very-ripe pear, sliced

Pumpkin pie (enough for 4-5 jars)
- 300g thick pumpkin puree
- 1/4 tsp each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger (or more)

Method
  1. Press pastry dough into jars (all the way up to the top) until the inner walls are completely covered.
  2. Prepare the fillings. Just mix the ingredients above together!
  3. Add in filling to the top of the jar (and more for the apple pie if you don't intend to freeze it). 
  4. Top with more puff pastry if desired. Remember to poke some holes for steam to escape if you intend to cover it completely.
  5. Store in the freezer, or bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for 40 minutes. I froze mine and left it to defrost slightly for 30 minutes on my kitchen counter before baking at 180 deg C for 45 minutes in a non-preheated oven.
  6. Leave to cool slightly (careful you don't burn your fingers off - the jar will remain hot for quite a while even after taking it out of the oven) and devour. 




You Might Also Like

0 comments