Latest Posts

Frozen Black Bean Brownie Pops!

By 10:33 , ,

Who needs magnums when you can have these.

If you're shocked to find that these brownies are made of beans, then I'm shocked that you've not heard of them before. They're as common as cauliflower crust pizzas. Or chickpea blondies. Or kale chips. Lol. Anyway, you really don't taste the beans, trust me! :)

I've made black bean brownies quite a few times before, and they always turn out moist and fudgey! Previously I always used banana in the batter, but this time I used a very ripe pear and more medjool dates. If you have a food processor or blender, making it will be a breeze. This time I used a food processor (which I didn't have back then) and I didn't need to use as much liquid to get the blades turning. But the blender version is still good! ^^

View this post to see my other black bean brownie creations!

For these brownie pops, I simply poked a ice cream stick into each piece, froze it overnight, and added the toppings the next day. The drizzle of homemade chocolate hardens in to a crackly hard-shell once it touches the brownie. ^^

This first one on the left is topped with blueberries and strawberry bits. As you can see. Haha. The tartness of the berries complements the brownie well!

The middle one has banana bits, raw tahini and hemp seeds. Banana and chocolate is always a great combination; banana, chocolate and tahini is even better!

The third one is with a small scoop of Soyato's green tea ice cream! The ice cream tastes not bad, but my favourite will still have to be the Wickedly Chocolate flavour.

I feel so pleased with how my watermark (?) fits so perfectly on the ice cream stick. LOL.

I can't decide which my favourite topping is! They're all so easy to prepare too. :) Maybe I'll try a savoury topping next time hmmm.



Black Bean Brownies
Makes about 18 brownies
  • heaped 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans (a 15 ounce can should work fine too, though I've not tried it)
  • 1 medium (ripe) pear (or 1/3 cup applesauce or 1 medium banana)
  • 8 large medjool dates, pulsed into a thick paste (add 1 tbsp water if needed)
  • 3/4 cup black bean 'soup' (the water the beans are boiled in) or non-dairy milk or water
  • heaped 1/4 cup raw cacao (or unsweetened cocoa)
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (rolled oats pulsed in a food processor)
  • Optional: chopped nuts/dried fruit
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Lightly oil an 8x10" pan and set aside.
  2. Combine all ingredients, except oat flour, in a food processor and blend until smooth.
  3. Add in oat flour and continue blending. Add nuts/ dried fruit (if using) and pour batter into pan. 
  4. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
  5. For frozen brownie pops, poke half an ice cream stick into each slice before placing in the freezer overnight. Top with desired toppings and enjoy.


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Woah, this looks so so good! I really need to try this black bean brownie stuff soon *-*
    **Maisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh by the way: how exactly do you do your watermark? photoshop? i'm planing to get myself a prettier one than the one i have right now :))

      Delete
    2. Haha thanks Maisy!! :) Tell me how it goes when you try it! ^^

      I use my phone to edit photos and add watermarks! I use the Phonto app and you can download fonts into it from Dafont.com. :) Otherwise, I think you can just download fonts into your laptop and add them into your photos from Powerpoint! Hehe I have no idea how to use Photoshop! ^^;

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tip! i just downloaded the Phonto app onto my phone yesterday! It seems pretty cool - even though i haven't figured out how to properly rotate the letters yet :'D

      Delete