Latest Posts

Making More Yogurt with Yogurt (vegan)!!

By 10:10 , , ,

Oh my gosh I MADE YOGURT!!!!!!!!

A few days ago I found CoYo (coconut yogurt) at West Coast Plaza's Cold Storage. At $5.95 per tiny little tub it's really pricey, but not when you use it to make more yogurt!

I referred to Simple Vegan Blog and a few other websites that I can't remember, and it worked even though I didn't really follow instructions! Yay the magic of bacteria!!

The CoYo tastes strongly coconutty, but when I tasted it I was like SO HAPPY omg. Lol the first time having yogurt since being vegan. I didn't realize that I missed it so much! I've been looking around for vegan yogurt starters but they all have dairy -_-

To make yogurt I added CoYo and a bit of coconut sugar (as food for the bacteria) to warm unsweetened soymilk, then left it for 8 hours in a slightly warm (but switched off) oven.

Lol I poured the soymilk into the jar before I realised that I forgot to warm it up so this is what I did.

Actually I think the bacteria are very reliable (?) - as long as you don't kill it with too much heat and give it time to grow, yogurt will form! Saw so many recipes involving a yogurt maker (and people failing at making yogurt many times) and thought that yogurt making was difficult lol. Now that I've done it I wonder why I didn't try it earlier!

The resulting yogurt smells more of coconut than soy, but with further batches of yogurt the coconut aroma will be less prominent! It's also not really sour.

It looks thick like Greek yogurt, but once you scoop it out it's quite smooth like regular yogurt! Surprisingly I got a thick enough consistency even though I didn't add agar powder, tapioca starch or other thickeners. 

Those white parts on top are bits of CoYo that I didn't stir in properly haha.

This is chia pudding with yogurt, fruits (kiwiberries, kiwifruit, strawberries, mango, blueberries), chocolate sauce and hemp seeds.

Yeah you can hardly see anything under all the fruit lol ^^;


Easy Vegan Yogurt Recipe
Makes about 2-4 servings

Ingredients
  • 400ml soy milk
  • 2 tbsp vegan yogurt (I used CoYo - it should have 'live yogurt cultures' in the ingredients list)
  • 1 tsp coconut sugar (or other sugar) - optional*

Method
  1. Clean and dry a jar (to store the yogurt).
  2. Pour in warm soymilk. It should be warm to the touch but not burning hot. If unsure whether it's too hot, let it cool further.
  3. Stir in yogurt and sugar.
  4. Place at a warm spot in the kitchen. If you're in a tropical country like Singapore, the kitchen counter should be fine. Otherwise, preheat an oven to 50 deg C, before switching it off and placing the mixture in.
  5. Leave the lid of the jar ajar. Let it sit for at least 8 hours. Once it looks/tastes like yogurt, place it in the fridge to store.
  6. Make more yogurt by leaving about 2 tbsp behind and following the same steps. 
Edit*: After making this a few more times, I've found that sugar isn't really necessary! But it gives you a peace of mind haha.

Wow seriously this yogurt making is life-changing (..or at least breakfast-changing). I warmed up a bowl of soymilk (about 200ml) yesterday night, added in a tbsp of the homemade yogurt, left it partially covered on my kitchen counter and tada!! In the morning it was yogurt! The magic of bacteria!


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. OMG, amazing! gonna try this for sure :D
    Any idea which other Cold Storage carries Coyo...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I hope you'll enjoy it! :) I'm not too sure about the Coyo though, sorry! Perhaps the larger Cold Storage?

      Delete
  2. so cool!! great way to stretch this pricey other yogurt!
    **Maisy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Im considering turning vegan but there arent much options for fresh vegan ingredients in Singapore, may i ask where do you shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabriella, sorry for the late reply! I normally get my groceries at regular supermarkets and occasionally at wet markets. Is there anything in particular you're looking for? :) You can email me at serenesayyian@gmail.com - I reply faster there haha

      Delete