Latest Posts

Breadmaking with Zojirushi Mini Breadmaker

By 11:30 ,

In my previous post on Kitchen Appliances I talked about the Zojirushi Home Bakery Mini Breadmaker which I bought secondhand from Carousell for $150.

I used more or less the same recipe for my bread each time, and did the SOFT course (3 hours) or QUICK with Light Crust (1 hour 53 minutes). I mostly bake at night so this collage above has such horrible lighting lol

I baked almost every other day in January! The loaf is supposed to be 1 pound I think, and for a family of 3 it lasts like 2 days.. most of the eating was by me though haha I LOVE BREAD

So I bake bread at night, and eat the warm, toasty & crispy crusts (and maybe one or two more slices :x ) as supper! Freshly baked crusts are the best!!!

This is random but if you see the 28th of Jan (first day of CNY) this wild parrot came to visit lol

The breadmaker comes with a comprehensive recipe/instruction booklet.

For Basic Bread (Soft Course) the recipe is :
3/4 cup water
2 cups bread flour
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tbsp dry milk
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 tsp active dry yeast

I modified the recipe and used this:
3/4 cup water/unsweetened soymilk/fruit juice*
1 cup spelt flour/wholemeal flour
1 cup bread flour
2 tbsp spelt/bread flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp vegan butter/peanut butter^
1 heaping tsp active dry yeast
Optional: 1-2 tbsp chia seeds"/cocoa powder/matcha powder etc
Optional (after beep): ~1/3 cup dried fruit/nuts/vegan bakkwa bits

*I use fruit juice if making bread with added dried fruit or chia seeds; I use room temperature or slightly warm liquid because I think it might help with rising

^The vegan butter I used is the Naturel vegan margarine; I swapped to using crunchy Mayver's peanut butter because I had to finish a jar and it turned out pretty good (and it's also less processed)! Vegetable oil also works if you don't have either.

"Nuts & seeds are recommended to be added after the beep so they don't damage and scratch the non-stick pan (after 30 min for SOFT and after 20 min for QUICK) but I like to add chia seeds directly to the liquid so they can soak and expand.

Even when I don't need to add anything at the beep, I'll check for 2 things:
1) None of the ingredients are stuck to the sides of the tin. Sometimes the peanut butter is stuck and I'll use a spatula to push it down.
2) Whether the glass panel on the lid is steamy. If there's a lot of moisture on the lid I'll add about 2-3 tsp more flour.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to do these though!

There's a timer function available (so that you can start the bread making process a few hours later and wake up to freshly baked bread) but I think you need to be careful with the yeast. I did it once before and the bread didn't rise well, probably because the flour 'cracks' and the yeast falls into the liquid below and has lost it's active-ness by the time it starts baking? That's my theory lol. I think it's okay if you add more yeast when you're setting a timer - I did that and it turned out fine!

Blurry boomerang screenshot but I chanced upon a great deal at Mustafa (which I thought was closing down but apparently not??) - $1 bags of Bob's Red Mill flour! I used both spelt and graham flour and I think graham flour is a bit heavier and doesn't rise as well, but the difference is quite slight. Graham flour also adds more nutty fragrance to the bread, while comparatively spelt flour is more neutral.

This is about the highest my bread rises - almost reaches the lid! I think the key to a airy, well-risen loaf is more yeast and more sugar! If you use plain flour instead of spelt/wholemeal it rises more too.

After baking, the bread should be cooled so it's easier to cut and the crust doesn't separate from the inner part of the bread while slicing (you can see it in some photos in the collage lol because it was late and I wanted to sleep already)

If this breadmaker could slice bread too that'll be fantastic 

My triceps get tired from slicing LOL especially when I slice up to 12 thin slices. This loaf was sliced by Mum haha - the slices were really thick! The softer the bread the harder it is to slice ^^;

Now that I'm not in Singapore, Mum occasionally bakes bread I think ^^ Ah I miss eating homemade bread! When I'm back I'd also like to try making cookie dough/cake/pizza dough/jam with the breadmaker

Week 2 of school starts tomorrow and I'm not ready to be productive yet T.T

I hope you'll have a great week ahead!!


You Might Also Like

0 comments