Latest Posts

Purple Sweet Potato Bread with Adzuki Bean Swirl!

By 14:19 , ,

PURPLE BREAD!

I love sweet potatoes. And bread. And naturally-coloured food.

This bread is slightly sweet, and more moist than my Anyhow Wholewheat Bread. (But if you want pillow-soft fluffy bread this isn't the recipe for you!) I did most of the mixing in my food processor, so it was really easy to make! My food processor comes with a plastic blade (for mixing and kneading bread) but I couldn't find it, so I just used the regular blade. Not something I'd recommend to do often since it might damage the blade, but it does the trick!

I've had this recipe printed out and kept in a folder of recipes. I think it's been there for at least 3 years LOL. And I finally used it yay!

I made lotsa changes - omitted the oil, used only wholewheat spelt flour, swapped honey for coconut sugar etc. But tell me if this recipe is originally yours and I'll credit you!

How coincidental that I printed this in purple ink. ^^

I steamed 3 small purple sweet potatoes and pureed them (with the skin). Added quite a bit of water to get it smooth, but it was still really thick!

This is what it looks like before the second rise.

Done! It's a small loaf.

Super happy with how it turned out! It wasn't mushy in the middle as I'd feared it'd be. :) I could've added more beans though!



Purple Sweet Potato Bread with Adzuki Bean Swirl
Makes one small loaf
Note that I used a 1dl cup (100ml) for measurements. It's alright if you don't have a food processor - a spatula and a pair of hands will work fine!

• 100ml lukewarm water or adzuki bean soup
• 2 tsp coconut sugar (+ more if desired)
• 2 tsp quick rise yeast
• 400ml wholewheat spelt flour (+ a little extra for dusting) 
• 100ml pur√©ed purple sweet potato (made from about 1 small sweet potato + some water)
• pinch of sea salt
• handful of boiled adzuki beans

1. Combine water, 2 tsp coconut sugar and yeast in a food processor and pulse once to mix. 
2. When mixture gets slightly foamy, add in the salt. 
3. Add in the flour, 100ml at a time, processing after each 100ml.
4. After all the flour has been added, the dough should ball up in your food processor when processing.
5. Place the dough ball in a lightly floured bowl and cover. Allow the dough to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Punch the dough down after the first rise. Flour your hands, knead the dough a few times, and spread it out into a rectangle.
7. Press the adzuki beans into the dough. Cover every inch of available space with beans (but leave about a 1" wide strip at the edge furthest from you) for a more distinct swirl. Add some coconut sugar if you'd like a sweeter bread.
8. Roll the dough away from you and pat the left and right sides in. Place it seam side down into a lightly greased small bread pan (the one I used is from Daiso, 18x8.8x6cm or 7.1" x 3.5" x 2.4")
9. Cover and allow the dough to rise again.. until it looks like it won't rise anymore. About 45 mins to 1 hour.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 deg C for about 30 mins. Leave to cool completely (I left mine to rest overnight) before slicing. Enjoy!


If you're interested in swirly bread, here's a Chocolate Sea-salt Cinnamon Swirl loaf recipe. :)


You Might Also Like

2 comments