Ginger Molasses Cookies
Ginger Molasses Cookies! I used to hate ginger but I've now come to love it's warm spiciness. ♡ It's also great for when I get motion sickness! :x
I recently bought molasses and it's my first time using it in baking. I wanted to try it because it's rich in iron, calcium and magnesium - it's a sweetener that's actually good for you! if you don't know what molasses are, it's a thick, black liquid (looks somewhat like Pi Pa Gao, though more viscous), and it has a distinct, bittersweet taste. Much less sweet than what I imagined it to be!
This recipe is adapted from Lunchboxbunch, and I changed it by replacing refined sugar with medjool dates. I've also halved the recipe and made smaller cookies. And left out the baking soda - I ran out! Perhaps that's why mine didn't rise and crack as beautifully as Kathy's! These were of a just-right sweetness for me, though that's not a good standard to go by, so I would suggest that you add more dates! ^^
Warm, freshly baked cookies. And a never-before-seen glimpse of my couch.
I made them in 3 ways: hearts (of course!), pressed down with a fork, and topped with crystallised ginger.
These are two-bite cookies.
They turned out soft & chewy, though for crunchier cookies you could flatten them out more.
The crystallised ginger add more sweetness, spiciness and bite to the cookie!
So good with a cold glass of soymilk.
Ginger Molasses Cookies
Makes about 28 two-bite cookies
Ingredients
- 1 cup wholewheat flour (130g), or other flour
- 3/4 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 3-5 large medjool dates (depending on level of sweetness desired)
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 2-3 tbsp molasses syrup
- 1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Optional: crystallised ginger, cut into tiny bits
- Mix the dry ingredients (first 5) in a large bowl.
- In a food processor, blend together medjool dates and 2 tbsp water (this doesn't seem really good for food processors though, mine was having a hard time!)
- In a separate bowl, mix the date paste with the grated ginger, coconut oil and molasses syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir the mixture, then use your hands to mix it into a moist ball of dough. It should have a Playdough consistency. If needed, add water bit-by-bit. I added 1 tbsp.
- For 'free-form' cookies, you can use the dough immediately, but for cookie-cutter cookies it's best to freeze for about 30 mins before rolling out and cutting into shapes.
- Bake at 180 deg C for about 6-8 mins (depending on size of cookies) in a preheated oven.
- Allow cookies to cool for 15 minutes before eating. They will harden as they cool.
0 comments