Orange-Carrot Spiced 'Creepy Pig' Pancakes
"What are you staring at", says the pigs.
Hahahaha laughing at my horrendous piping skillz. And yes, they're both supposed to be pigs.
I used this pig pan from Daiso. The pan looks soooo much cuter and friendlier than the pancakes. I would've preferred it if the pan wasn't pointier at the end. The pigs come out v-faced haha.
But as far as Daiso pans go, this seems quite durable! It didn't warp or burn after my first use.
I made Orange-Carrot Spiced pancakes.
Make sure you coat the pan with oil-spray before pouring in the batter. I used the lowest flame on the smallest stove. I wouldn't recommend pouring the batter in all the way like I did here - it's better to fill it up only halfway. The top didn't cook so I flipped it over onto another pan.
And it looks CREEPY. Hahaha
But I dressed them up a bit so I guess they don't look that bad.
I piped on some chocolate sauce (cacao + water + stevia) onto the white plate but sadly the pancake covered most of it. And it's peanut sauce (peanut flour + water + stevia) on the black plate. I mixed the ingredients for the sauce directly in a sandwich bag (before cutting a small corner off to pipe) and obviously I didn't do a good job of mixing for the peanut sauce.
That's peanut-tahini sauce, maple syrup and strawberry jam at the side.
I made mum this smaller one because she had to go out soon after.
Both of the pig's ears have strawberry jam in a heart shape but it's not very obvious.
Yes, this looks more like a bear. ._.
I forgot about adding any sweetener to the batter oops. But that's what the jam and syrup is here for. ^^ I think that this can easily be made into a savoury pancake if you add some salt/ salt-free seasoning!
Fruits at the side.
Mum said that it tasted like an Indian pancake. Haha :x It reminded me of okonomiyaki actually heh.
It didn't turn out fluffy or cake-like, but it's more moist and soft. Probably because I cooked it too thick! Nonetheless, I enjoyed it.
Yum yum. Thick pancakes are pretty good. Especially because they require much less effort!
Orange-Carrot Spiced Pancakes
Serves 1-2
Ingredients
Dry:
1/2 cup spelt flour (or wholewheat flour)
2 level tsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
Dash of cinnamon & nutmeg
Wet:
Juice and pulp of 1/2 medium orange
1/4 cup carrot shreds
1/2-3/4 cup water or non-dairy milk (I used a mix of unsweetened soymilk and water)
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Sweetener of choice, to taste (or make this savoury and add salt/salt-free seasoning instead)
Method
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add in the wet ingredients. Vary the amount of water/milk depending on how thick you want your batter to be.
- Mix well and leave batter to sit for 10 minutes. Batter will thicken as chia seeds expand.
- Pour into a well-oiled pan and cook.
- Top with fruits/sauce of your choice and enjoy!
Have a great weekend!
4 comments
Hi Serene - Thanks so much for your sweet comment! You're right, you didn't hear from me for a while because i was busy getting my bachelor's degree (which i did, yay!), and now i'm about to start my masters program, so things are a bit all over the place. But i do love all your awesome vegan posts - for example today's post! I mean, how adorable are those Piggy Pancakes?! *-*
ReplyDeleteI'm flattered you like my content as well!
Also: Actually the name's Maisy but Alice is also a very pretty name, so i won't complain :)
x Maisy
Omg oops sorry I got your name wrong! :x How did you blog name come about then? :) Oh wow I see, congrats on your bachelor's degree!! Hehe aww glad that you find the pigs cute!
DeleteHaha no worries! i think back in 2011 when i initially came up with that blog name i thought of "Alice in Wonderland" and trying to "become the best version of myself" which then kind of came together in the name "Becoming Alice" :)
DeleteYeah, you are definitely a major inspiration when it comes to vegan food and also the photographs! :)
Oh I see! Haha that's interesting. I like Alice in Wonderland too! ^^ Aww thanks for the compliments! :')
Delete